Admissions, Enrollment & Permits
Welcome to Duarte Unified School District!Please review this page for the procedures and policies involved with admission to Duarte Unified schools. We offer a step-by-step process for enrollment in our district. View information about the innovative programs and signature initiatives found at each of our schools. Click here.If you reside within our district's attendance area, use our School Finder tool to locate your child's school of attendance.Returning DUSD students(MANDATORY): Confirm enrollment data beginning July 19th - August 2nd, 2021. Click HereNew Students only- (Never attended DUSD) Register online to enroll in our schools. Click Here.
If you have any questions regarding the admissions or enrollment, please contact the of residence or requested school.
We are an Allen Bill District:Children of parents/guardians who are physically employed within the boundaries of Duarte Unified for a minimum of 10 hours during the school week comply with residency requirements. This means that even if the student does not reside within our attendance boundaries, he/she can attend a Duarte Unified school without having to request an interdistrict permit based on the parent’s/guardian’s place and hours of employment.[EC 48204(b)].Please complete the Allen Bill form and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.Allen Bill Form: Click HereInterdistrict Transfer PolicyInterdistrict permits allow students who reside in one district to attend a school in another district; both districts must approve of the transfer. Permits are considered on a case-by-case basis and are approved or denied based on the terms and conditions detailed in the district’s board policy and administrative regulations. Per EC 46600(a), which states: "Once a pupil in kindergarten or any of grades 1 to 12, inclusive, is enrolled in a school pursuant to this chapter, the pupil shall not have to reapply for an interdistrict transfer, and the governing board of the school district of enrollment shall allow the pupil to continue to attend the school in which he or she is enrolled." Once an interdistrict permit is approved, an annual re-application of the permit is not required if the student continues to attend the approved District for which the permit was initially granted.*The provisions of the law permits renewals of an interdistrict application for matriculation. District may require renewals for matriculation from elementary to middle school and middle school to high school. Interdistrict renewals require supporting documentation.How to Apply for an Outgoing Interdistrict Permit to Leave Duarte Unified:
Interdistrict applications are completed and submitted through . Click HereOnce the application has been processed, an email will be sent to the parent/guardian email provided on the application. For processing timelines, please read the interdistrict application timeline chart. Status updates will not be provided.
- Students in Transitional Kindergarten through grade 12 who reside within the attendance boundaries of Duarte Unified and would like to attend school in another district must obtain a valid interdistrict permit from both Duarte Unified and the requested district.
- The interdistrict application to be released for the future school year opens in March.
- One interdistrict permit application must be submitted per student.
- Interdistrict timelines and documentation are required to be released. Click Here
- To review Duarte Unified Board Policy and Administrative Regulation 5117 related to interdistrict permits: Click Here.
How to Apply for an Incoming Interdistrict Permit to Attend a School in Duarte Unified:All students in Transitional Kindergarten through grade 12, including CSArts 7-8 students, who would like to attend one of our schools, but do reside within the attendance boundaries of Duarte Unified, must obtain a valid interdistrict permit from both the district of residence and Duarte Unified. Our guide to the interdistrict process provides the steps outlined below, as well as descriptions of the specialized programs offered in our schools.STEP 1. REQUEST TO LEAVE DISTRICT OF RESIDENCE
- Obtain an interdistrict permit application from the student’s district of residence.
- Complete the interdistrict permit application form. Indicate the specific reason(s) for requesting the permit and attach any documentation that supports the reason(s) for the request.
- Submit the interdistrict permit application form and supporting documents to the appropriate person or department at the district of residence.
STEP 2. REQUEST TO ATTEND DUARTE UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT
Submit the approved interdistrict permit with the documents listed below to the Duarte Unified Director of Student Services either by email to email@example.com.
- Approved Interdistrict Permit
- Admissions Form: Click Here
- The following documentation may be requested by DUSD: Discipline Record/Transcripts/Attendance Record
- Issuance of an interdistrict permit in the district of residence does not guarantee acceptance by the Duarte Unified; therefore, keep your student enrolled at his/her school of residence until the process is complete.
- Incomplete applications will not be processed.
STEP 3. APPEALING A DENIAL
If a request to leave the district of residence or to attend a school in Duarte Unified is denied, an appeal of that denial can be filed with the county office of education that has jurisdiction over the denying district. For school districts in Los Angeles County, appeals are filed with the Los Angeles County Office of Education. Click here for more information.
- Appeals must be filed within 30 calendar days from the date of denial.
- Enrollment for Students Entering the California School of the Arts-San Gabriel Valley (CSArts-SGV):
Intradistrict Transfer Policy:
Duarte Unified offers various enrollment options that meet the diverse needs and interests of district students. The parents/guardians of any student who resides within district boundaries may apply to enroll their child in any Duarte Unified School, regardless of the location of residence within the district. Review the letter provided to parents with additional information here. BP 5116.1
- New Intradistrict Permit Request Timeline:
- Submission for proceeding School Year: October 31 to February 28. IF NEW TO DUSD SUBMISSION, DEADLINE IS EXTENDED.
- Intradistrict Permit Applications are completed and submitted through .
- Intradistrict Permit Application: Click Here