Admissions, Enrollment & Permits
Welcome to Duarte Unified School District!Please review this page for the procedures and policies involved with admission to Duarte Unified schools. We offer a step-by-step process for enrollment in our District. View information about the innovative programs and signature initiatives found at each of our schools. Click here.If you reside within our District's attendance area, use the School Finder tool to locate your child's school of attendance.
Returning DUSD students(MANDATORY): Confirm enrollment data beginning July 1 - July 31, 2022. Click Here
Current Year New Students Only- (Never attended DUSD) Register online to enroll in our schools. Click Here.
- Be sure to choose the "2021-2022, Current School Year" in the drop-down menu
2022-2023 School Year New Students Only- Registration online is now available to enroll in our schools. Click Here
If you have any questions regarding the admissions or enrollment, please contact the school of residence or requested school.
We are an Allen Bill District:Children of parents/guardians who are physically employed within the boundaries of Duarte Unified for a minimum of 10 hours during the school week comply with residency requirements. This means that even if the student does not reside within our attendance boundaries, they can attend a Duarte Unified school without requesting an interdistrict permit based on the parent's/guardian's place and hours of employment.[EC 48204(b)].To request the Allen Bill Form, email email@example.com.Interdistrict Transfer PolicyInterdistrict permits allow students who reside in one District to attend a school in another district; both districts must approve the transfer. Permits are considered case-by-case and are approved or denied based on the terms and conditions detailed in the District's board policy and administrative regulations. Per EC 46600(a), which states: "Once a pupil in kindergarten or any of grades 1 to 12, inclusive, is enrolled in a school pursuant to this chapter, the pupil shall not have to reapply for an interdistrict transfer, and the governing board of the school district of enrollment shall allow the pupil to continue to attend the school in which he or she is enrolled." Once an interdistrict permit is approved, an annual re-application of the permit is not required if the student continues to attend the approved District for which the permit was initially granted.*The provisions of the law permit renewal of an interdistrict application for matriculation. The District may require renewals for matriculation from elementary to middle school and middle school to high school. Interdistrict renewals require supporting documentation.Interdistrict Permit "Out" of DUSD- Application Submission Window OPENS June 1.How to Apply for an Outgoing Interdistrict Permit to Leave Duarte Unified:
Interdistrict applications are completed and submitted through .
- Students in Transitional Kindergarten through grade 12 who reside within the attendance boundaries of Duarte Unified and would like to attend school in another district must obtain a valid interdistrict permit from both Duarte Unified and the requested District.
- The interdistrict application to be released for the future school year opens in June.
- One interdistrict permit application must be submitted per student.
- Interdistrict timelines and documentation are required to be released. Click Here
- To review Duarte Unified Board Policy and Administrative Regulation 5117 related to interdistrict permits: Click Here.
Once the application has been processed, an email will be sent to the parent/guardian email provided on the application. For processing timelines, please read the interdistrict application timeline chart. Status updates will not be provided.
- Click Here for an interdistrict application.
How to Apply for an Incoming Interdistrict Permit to Attend a School in Duarte Unified:All students in Transitional Kindergarten through grade 12, including CSArts 7-8 students, who would like to attend one of our schools, but do not reside within the attendance boundaries of Duarte Unified, must obtain a valid interdistrict permit from both the District of residence and Duarte Unified. Our guide to the interdistrict process provides the steps outlined below and descriptions of the specialized programs offered in our schools.STEP 1. REQUEST TO LEAVE DISTRICT OF RESIDENCE
- Obtain an interdistrict permit application from the student's District of residence.
- Complete the interdistrict permit application form. Indicate the specific reason(s) for requesting the permit and attach any documentation supporting the reason(s).
- Submit the interdistrict permit application form and supporting documents to the appropriate person or department at the District of residence.
STEP 2. REQUEST TO ATTEND DUARTE UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT
Submit the approved interdistrict permit with the documents listed below to the Duarte Unified Director of Student Services by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Approved Interdistrict Permit
- Admissions Form: Click Here
- The following documentation may be requested by DUSD: Discipline Record/Transcripts/Attendance Record.
- Issuance of an interdistrict permit in the District of residence does not guarantee acceptance by the Duarte Unified; therefore, keep your student enrolled at their school of residence until the process is complete.
- Incomplete applications will not be processed.
STEP 3. APPEALING A DENIAL
If a request to leave the District of residence or attend a school in Duarte Unified is denied, an appeal of that denial can be filed with the county office of education that has jurisdiction over the denying District. For school districts in Los Angeles County, appeals are filed with the Los Angeles County Office of Education. Click here for more information.
- Appeals must be filed within 30 calendar days from the date of denial.
- Enrollment for Students Entering the California School of the Arts-San Gabriel Valley (CSArts-SGV):
Intradistrict Transfer Policy: WINDOW CLOSED
Duarte Unified offers various enrollment options that meet district students' diverse needs and interests. The parents/guardians of any student who resides within district boundaries may apply to enroll their child in any Duarte Unified School, regardless of residence within the District. Review the letter providing parents with additional information here. BP 5116.1
- New Intradistrict Permit Request Timeline:
- Submission for proceeding School Year: October 31 to February 28.
- New students to DUSD, please call 626-599-5009