DUARTE UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT
Duarte Unified School District subscribes to the philosophy that all students have a right to quality education in a safe, secure environment. Students’ appearance should be neat, acceptable and in keeping with the activities. The staff at each school is committed to providing a school that is free from the disruptive influence of any group or gang that advocates drug use, disruptive behavior, or other illegal activities. In this regard, certain types of clothing and attire that have potential to cause a disruption of school activities will be prohibited.
Apparel, hats, jewelry, bandanas, insignia, colors, or paraphernalia that indicate an affiliation with a group or gang which may provoke others to act violently or be intimidated by fear of violence may not be possessed or worn on campus or at school activities. The nature of this clothing, apparel, and paraphernalia that are not appropriate for school will vary from time to time and may change from year to year.
The school administration will determine the nature of this clothing that is not appropriate for school in consultation with local authorities.
In recognition of our instructional responsibilities and goals, the following specific rules relative to dress and appearance of students will be strictly enforced and applies to all students in Grades 6-12 at all Duarte Unified schools with the exception of students in *Grade 6 at Valley View Elementary who will adhere to the district’s standardized dress/uniform requirements.
- Clothing or articles of clothing or jewelry, which may provoke others to acts of violence or be used as weapons including but not limited to wristbands, oversized belts, belt buckles, chains, and any other gang-identified items are prohibited.
- Clothing and jewelry shall be free of writing, pictures, and any other insignia or indications which are profane, obscene, sexually suggestive, or which advocate racial, ethnic or religious prejudice, tagging, gambling, violence, the use of drugs or alcohol, or any other illegal or unsafe activity.
- Only unaltered, official district hats/caps or medically/religiously required hats, as approved by the school administration, are allowed. HATS SHALL NOT BE WORN IN ANY CLASSROOM
- Shoes must be worn at all times.
- Pants must fit properly at the waist. Sagged pants, cut offs to the knee, and/or split pant cuffs are not permitted. Plain white t-shirts are prohibited except for during physical education classes. Shirts should also fit properly. Socks pulled up higher than the bottom of the shorts are not permitted.
- Clothing shall not be provocative and shall conceal undergarments at all times. See-through or fishnet fabrics, tube tops, and bare midriffs are prohibited. Shorts or skirts shall not be higher than the students’ fingertips when hand is pressed to the side of the leg.
- Other inappropriate clothing or accessories, determined by the school administration to disrupt the safety or detract from the educational process, include hairnets, sock caps, scarves, and du-rags.
In order to comply with our policy and avoid dress code violations, parents are encouraged to provide guidance in the student’s selection of appropriate dress.