Measure S Background Information
Click to view in pdf format in English or Spanish.
Background: Duarte Unified School District public schools are the foundation of a healthy, thriving community. We focus every day on helping our students thrive. However, our classrooms are aging and were built before the “digital age.” Although well maintained, these schools require significant repairs and upgrades after decades of constant use. Meanwhile, today’s teaching and learning standards have changed, requiring more and different instructional spaces, and all our schools need ongoing safety and security upgrades. Additionally, the ongoing impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic are creating additional challenges for school districts trying to meet current health and safety standards. Over the past years, Duarte Unified School District has received feedback from the community, parents, and teachers on our Local Control Accountability Plan (LCAP), Competitive Advantage Plan (CAP), and Facilities Master Plan. Measure S is the result of these community conversations and provides a prudent, responsible plan to address our most critical facilities needs. NO other funding currently exists to repair and upgrade these facilities.
Measure S DEFINED: Measure S is a school bond measure on the November 3, 2020 ballot seeking voter authorization for local funding to repair and upgrade DUSD school facilities. A “YES vote” approves funding for the District’s plan to repair and upgrade schools; a “NO vote” rejects the plan. All voters living within Duarte Unified School District boundaries of who are registered to vote will be eligible to vote on this ballot measure.
Measure S Official Ballot Question: “DUARTE UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT CLASSROOM REPAIR/UPGRADE, STUDENT ACHIEVEMENT MEASURE. To upgrade all neighborhood schools, provide safe drinking water, remove asbestos/lead paint, improve fire safety, leaky roofs, natural disaster/emergency preparedness, retain/attract quality teachers by acquiring, constructing, repairing sites, facilities, equipment, shall Duarte Unified School District’s measure authorizing $79,000,000 in bonds, at legal rates, levying 5 cents per $100 assessed valuation, raising on average $4,475,000 annually while bonds are outstanding, be adopted, requiring citizens oversight, all funds for local schools?”
Measure S protects property values. Good schools protect property values and contribute to a quality community.
Measure S Summary – Measure S will:
- Repair deteriorated roofs, plumbing, electrical, and HVAC systems
- Improve school safety – cameras, door locks, fire alarms, and communication systems
- Modernize science, engineering, and math classrooms and labs
- Expand technology - for both classrooms and safe, healthy online/distance learning
- Prepare schools, including nursing facilities for rapid-response in disasters/emergencies
- Expand vocational and career technical education (CTE) classrooms for expanded job-training
- ALL Measure S funds STAY LOCAL for Duarte USD public schools ONLY.
- By law, the State CANNOT take Measure S funding away.
- Measure S is for classroom and school facilities repairs, improvement, and equipment upgrades ONLY.
- NO funds are allowed for administrators' salaries, benefits, or pensions.
- Independent Citizens' Oversight and mandatory financial audits ensure funds are spent properly.
For more information:
For more information, visit duarteusd.org, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (626) 786-1494.