How Maxwell Began

  • MAX  
     
    Maxwell Academy was named after Jenny Talbot Maxwell, according to her daughter Rose who reported this information to the author of a local Duarte history. The Maxwells first moved to Duarte in late 1883 when Dr. A.S. Maxwell moved his extended family to Duarte from Davenport, Iowa. The Maxwell family had 44 acres in a local orange grove and their adobe house was just across Euclid Avenue, on the corner opposite from the school.