- Duarte Unified School District
- Superintendent's Messages
Welcome to the 2019-20 School Year!
Welcome to the start of the 2019-20 school year! I truly hope that you had a wonderful summer full of time with family, friends, and relaxation. As we begin our journey through this school year, I am reminded of all the great things that our scholars and staff accomplished last year. The successes I am reflecting on remind me of how bright the future of Duarte Unified School District is. As your Superintendent, I am excited to continue leading you on the continued path to becoming a destination district. As this new year begins, I wish everyone the greatest success as we welcome every one of our DUSD students to their educational journey of 2019-2020.
This year will continue to be shaped by our commitment to the reform efforts as outlined in our Competitive Advantage Plan (CAP). We will also take the opportunity to look at new and different strategic actions that will further support the work we do for our scholars and community. We are proud of our accomplishments but are also steadfast in our efforts to take DUSD to the next level of educational excellence.
Successes during the 2018-2019 school year included:
- Partnered with DUEA and CSEA to develop a balanced general fund budget
- Debuted the new Culinary Arts Complex at Duarte High School
- Expanded the Early College, 4-Year Degree-Bearing Program, with cohorts in all 9-12 grade levels
- Completed the K-8 transition at the four academy sites with the first class moving on to high school this year
- Increased academic achievement as measured by SBAC
- Earned a high ranking on the California Dashboard-College and Career Indicator for Duarte High School
- Established Duarte Unified as a Destination District as evidenced by the decrease in students requesting permits to leave the district
- Expanded Elective Offerings available for 7th and 8th grade students at Duarte High School: Spanish, Mandarin, Drama, Art and Choir
- Increased arts offerings in Music, Dance, and Visual Arts Instruction at all K-8 sites
While maintaining the implementation of the initiatives already in place, this year we will continue to intensively focus on addressing the teaching and learning of our scholars. We also plan to build organizational capacity by enhancing staff support and development in the areas of professional learning communities and teamwork. This again, will be a year of great ambition and promise.
Our DUSD team is poised and ready to execute on its mission:
Provide the knowledge, skills, and inspiration for each student for success in college, career and life.
To achieve this mission, our students need your guidance, support, and care. My hope is that through our ongoing commitment to the CAP, our community will continue to come together and continue the renaissance of DUSD in the classroom, community, and region.
In closing, I challenge us all to remember that we wake up each day for every one of the DUSD scholars we serve. When we keep that in mind, I know each of us will make a difference in the lives of our scholars. As we move forward with our reform efforts, I invite you to reflect on the powerful words of Nelson Mandela, who said, “Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.” I am confident that together we will blaze a trail filled with success and accomplishment this year.
Gordon Amerson, Ed. D.
Superintendent of Schools